— Hoarseness tends to happen when there is a problem with the vocal cords, the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery says.
Common reasons for hoarseness include laryngitis, non-cancerous vocal cord lesions, pre-cancerous or cancerous lesions, neurological issues, smoking or reflux.
The academy offers these vocal wellness tips:
- Refrain from speaking while there’s loud background noise.
- Be aware of how much and how loudly you are talking.
- Use a microphone if your job requires a lot of talking.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid large amounts of caffeine.
- If you smoke, quit. Also, avoid secondhand smoke.
Posted: December 2018
Source: Read Full Article