Around 500,000 psychopaths live in Germany – and probably even more. Because only 50 percent in fall: you will end up as perpetrators of violence in the prison. The other half is reflected through life successfully. How to recognize a psychopath.
They are often extremely charming, eloquent, self-aware. But all of a evil, dark side is in common is that psychopaths are ruthless, manipulative and without any compassion for their environment. “Four to five percent of people are psychopaths, but not all of them are criminal,” says Niels Birbaumer, Professor of Medical psychology and Behavioral neurobiology, University of Tübingen.
Psychopaths have no fear of punishment
Not every Psychopath becomes a rapist or a murderer. Many are extremely successful in the profession: their recklessness, their inflated sense of self-worth and their willingness to take risks puts you in positions of power. Because it lacks the psychopath of empathy, and they feel no fear, you can prevail often particularly well.
“What kind of development these people take, also depends on your social Background, your intelligence and education,” says Birbaumer. The smarter successful to use their personality traits so that they are professionally very successful. “You have no cognitive Defects that can capture your Actions rationally, the consequences imagine. But you feel nothing.“
All psychopaths have a brain defect
No matter whether you end up in prison, in politics or in the Executive chair of a large Corporation, people with psychopathic tendencies have one thing in common: they show no brain activity in areas associated with the fear system. “Cognitively, they can understand the consequences of their actions – but you can feel it,” says Birbaumer.
The suffering of your victims makes you a simple cold, you feel no fear of the consequences of their actions, are not emotionally able to empathize with others. Therefore, between 25 and 40 percent of the prison population are psychopaths. Especially among the hardened criminals with a high recidivism rate, many are.
Of the tübingen neuro-scientists studied the brains of psychopaths in the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Birbaumer hopes that even a psychopath can learn brains to become emotionally. “The results of psychotherapeutic rehabilitation measures with these criminals are not bad,” he says, and refers to declining rates of recidivism.
ADHD can announce fault
Many psychopaths are in childhood behavioral problems. “Typically psychopaths before puberty problems,” says Birbaumer. The psychologist and neuro-scientist believes, for example, that children suffering from even before puberty, under the attention deficit syndrome (ADHD), are at high risk to develop psychopathic tendencies.
“These children are treated with Ritalin, but has no long-term effect.” Birbaumer therefore argues, to begin as early as possible with behavioral therapy. A Training prior to puberty would be useful – the sooner the better.
Birbaumer believes that psychopaths can learn to feel fear, and by therapists and scientists, “enable dead” areas of the brain. “It’s not true that psychopathy is immutable. The activity of the brain can be trained.“
Not drugs, but a behavioral therapy could help. Yet you do not know, however, is how in the long term, the positive effects can be. Anyone who suspects they have to do it with a psychopath, he should go as soon as possible “out of the way,” says the neuroscientist.Best offer on BestCheck.de
The Test: how to spot a psychopath
The canadian forensic psychologist Robert Hare has developed a psychopath checklist (PCL), which shows the top 20 symptoms. But if someone, on the several characteristics, is actually a Psychopath, remains uncertain.
However, even forensic psychiatrists are often wrong with their estimates. The check list is still, as a scientifically recognized means for detecting psychopathic tendencies. It is also someone can be dangerous, and criminal, the score only a few points. “The boundaries are fluid,” says Birbaumer.
Read here what are the characteristics of psychopaths are typically:
1. Blender with superficial charm. Psychopaths have a tendency to, refined and engaging. This helps them to gain certain positions of power, but also to unpleasant conversation partners.
2. Exaggerated Self-Worth. Psychopaths can be extremely arrogant and conceited, since you have your own skills grossly overestimate.
3. Excessive Experience Of Hunger. Psychopaths are constantly looking for Stimulation, they go to great risks and have no fear of the consequences. You will be bored quickly – frequent job changes are a possible consequence thereof.
4. Pathological Lies. Psychopaths are often pathological liars who lead their fellows without scruple in misleading.
5. Manipulative Behavior. They ruthlessly seek their own advantage – without their Victims empathize.
6. Lack of remorse and shame. Ruthless psychopaths are blind to the needs of others. For their victims they often show only contempt.
7. Superficial Feelings. Psychopaths often have only a limited range of feelings. To are real emotions you are usually not capable of.
8. Lack of compassion. Psychopaths are cold people with no empathy.
9. Parasitic Life Style. Psychopaths use others, are deliberately financially dependent on you.
10. Poor Behavior Control. Psychopaths have their anger and their Aggression is difficult to control.
11. Promiscuity. Psychopaths have frequently changing partners, numerous Affairs, and often try to force other sexual activities.
12. Unusual behavior as a child. Often were psychopaths before your 13. Age of striking: As a child, you are lying, for example, often the place of fire, torture animals, or drinking excessive alcohol.
13. Lack of goals and plans. Plan for the long term can psychopaths tend not to, you run, striking aimlessly through life.
14. Impulsivity. Psychopaths don’t think about the consequences of their actions, they are Moody and unpredictable and can be short-term Demand bad.
15. Rejection of the agreements. Appointments falls psychopaths are difficult, you miss it too often, bills to pay and contracts to follow.
16. Irresponsibility. Psychopaths have responsibility far and try to manipulate.
17. No long relationships. Bonds are psychopaths suspect, they frequently change their reference persons. Long-term relationships are important to you.
18. Youth crime. Between 13 and 18 years of age these individuals are often conspicuous and are a criminal.
19. Revocation of the probation. Psychopaths, the criminals have become often violate their parole.
20. Versatile Crime. Psychopaths in the prisons of those who the most serious offences committed.